This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Engine So Far Not So Good

A comment was made to my last blog entry ("Engine So Far So Good") expressing concern that one of the photographs showed rust in the exhaust port of the no. 2 cylinder head. This coupled with my description of the difficulty that I had had in getting the engine to turn indicated the possibility of salt water invasion in that cylinder. The comment came through as from "anonymous", which could have been any well meaning person, so worrying as it was I decided to put that aside and press on. After all, it was no. 1 cylinder that had the cracked head and was getting all of the attention, and the no. 2 cylinder was the "good" one, with a head only 8 months old.

Then I received an email from Mark Jochems at Shoreline Marine Diesel in Port Townsend indicating that he had made that comment and that got my attention big time.

I telephoned Mark (thank God for Skype!) to discuss it. Mark thought that the jammed engine might have been caused not by the no. 1 piston, but by the no. 2 piston, suggesting the possibility that the aluminium alloy of the piston was corroding and seizing up against the cylinder wall. (Gulp!). He wondered how salt water could have gotten into the cylinder and questioned me closely about my what I saw when I removed the mixer. Did water flow from the hoses? No, that I can recall. Was there water in the mixer? I can't recall any. I think that we eliminated the possibility of cooling water having been siphoned back into cylinder, particularly since I pointed out that Zee the mechanic had repositioned the anti siphon valve higher so that system had properly set up and working OK. He suggested that I remove the the injector of the no. 2 cylinder and and rust on the nozzle would indicate a salt water problem.

An hour later I assembled the valve rockers for the no. 1 cylinder then removed the rockers for the no. 2 cylinder which gave me access to the injector and I removed it.

The no. 2 injector had rust on the nozzle - not a lot, but rust nevertheless.

I had another conversation with Mark he suggested that I remove the no. 2 head for a direct look at the situation.

I needed a break from this drama so I had a pleasant and cooling swim (it was supposed to reach 99F that day) followed by a cockpit bath. Then I threw a few cold beers into my insulated bag and motored over to Stolen Kiss to take up Peter and Cheryl's invitation for a sundowner. As usual it was great to be in their company. They are not only dinky di Aussies but Western Australians and fellow members of The Fremantle Sailing Club. Forgive my indulgence because I have been away for 2 years: it was great to talk about the Quindalup Cruise, the delights of Bunbury Harbour, Rotto, and even the crocodiles of the Northwest. (OK, they may want to eat me, but they are still Aussies.)

Back at the boat I watched The Hurt Locker for a second time then went to bed looking forward to resolving this engine issue once and for all.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me