This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, May 31, 2010

Progress on Engine Importation

It looks like everything is in place for importation of the new engine by Columbia Export Services (Columbia Export Services Company).

At 10 AM I peddled the bicycle to the Columbia premises only about 2 kilometers from the marina with all of my documents in my backpack. I walked in the office and politely asked the lady behind the desk if she hablas ingles? Indeed she did, and very well. I started to tell her my situation and she exclaimed Robert! She knew who I was from an email query that I had sent in more than a week ago which ended in confusion. Her name is Judith and she was very pleasant to work with.

We discussed my requirements and then she gave me a firm quotation (good for 30 days) of $1085.76 to transport the engine from their depot in San Diego to their depot in La Paz. This includes $79.10 for insurance that "covers "truck accident, fire or loss during transit" as well as $98.48 for IVA (a goods and services tax). The freight charge was only $138.18 and the biggest cost component was $678 in "forwarding fees". This seems to cover all of the "import broker" functions and I am not complaining if it delivers my engine intact.

I presented all of the documentation required of me (e.g. passport, temporary import permit, engine invoice and shipping). After photocopying my documents Judith said that she would send me a letter to sign. "Send it? What are you going to do, mail it? Why don't you print the letter now and I'll sign it here." was my response. Five minutes later all of the necessary documentation was ready for presentation to the government. However, that documentation will be held until Columbia is close to receiving the consignment in San Diego. This is because approval of the importation by the Mexican government will include a request that the shipping box be opened and inspected by Columbia personnel.

So as soon as I have the information on the shipment of the engine from Port Townsend to the Columbia depot in San Diego I will pass it on to Judith who will launch the paperwork, which she says will take about 4 days for a response from the government.

The process seems pretty solid to me: only two custodians (the trucking companies), and the engine fully insured while in their custody.

On the way to Columbia I dropped by The Dock cafe and saw Bob Carroll. He will arrive at Pachuca tomorrow morning at 10-11 AM and we will take the boat on an engine sea trial. We'll explore the upper reaches of the bay, which I will find interesting because it offers, among other things, a very delicate approach to another marina. That end of the bay also offers a viable "hurricane hole" in case I get caught outside of a marina - highly unlikely but it is always good to have a Plan B when it comes to survival.

And shortly after my return to Pachuca I got a visit from Peter and Cheryl Ainsworth of Stolen Kiss. They came to say Hasta Luego because they are soon departing for Guaymas near San Carlos where they will hardstand their boat for a few months. It is within the realm of possibility that Brenda and I might get that far when we are trialling out the new Volvo engine, but it is more likely that the next time we see each other will be in Fremantle next April.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hope you take photos of all the interesting things your see on this engine trial trip.

Coral said...

I also look forward to seeing photos - hope the engine continues to perform - I'm wondering if you will sell it, or what?

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me