This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Clearance Procedure and Preparing for Sea Trial

Rick took me to the port captain's office on Friday morning.  There I was given two forms to fill out and from information that the counter staff gave to Rick, some instructions that they wrote by hand, and some clarification from Neil and the marina office staff, this is my understanding of what I must do:

1. Fill in the forms
2. Visit premises on 5 de Mayo and obtain a health certificate
3. Visit premises Malecon to obtain an API (port) clearance
4. Visit the Immigration office to notify them of my departure
5. Return to the port captain's office with  my forms stamped by 2,3,4 above

The forms are in Spanish, so I'll take my time filling them out using the Google translator, then ask either Rick or the marina office to review my work.

I can do step 2 ahead of time (i.e. next week). The health certificate may require money on my part and a visit to the  boat to inspect for rodents.  (This is the only port in Mexico that has required such an inspection.)

I am supposed to do steps 3,4,5 on my clearance day, although I have been advised that I can try step 3 one day ahead of time.  At step 5 I will be issued with a zarpe (port clearance) and certificate of health.  These are the two documents that I must be able to present at the next port of call.

The API must issue a statement that I do not owe money, principally for anchoring in La Paz.  Neil confirmed that my tenure at the Marina de La Paz has included payment of the daily boat fee to the port, and the office has provided me with a statement covering my residency at the marina.

I do not expect a lot of hassle from Immigration, but I am prepared for surprises.

Once I have been issued with the clearance papers I will have 48 hours in which to depart from La Paz.

My tentative departure date is Thursday 27 October.

---------------------

Bob visited the boat that afternoon and spent several hours helping me prepare for tomorrow's sea trial.  We put in a lot of effort in putting up the jib (which I had taken down before my visit the the USA) but by the time the head of the sail was within 5 feet from the top the strain that we that we were putting on the halyard was much, much too high. Using binoculars we could see nothing wrong where the halyard reached the block.  We had a breeze from abaft which didn't help, since it put a friction load on the . We decided to drop the sail and in the morning we'd try again when the wind will be from the bow.  Bob recommended that we use silicone lubricant on the next try.

1 comment:

Chris said...

What colourful sails...never seen them like that before!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me