This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Friday, October 28, 2011

Day 2-Bahia de Los Muertos

Today I made the passage from Lobos to Muertos (23N59,109W50) as planned.

I was up before dawn at 6 AM and at 7 AM began preparations for departure (e.g. anchor light off, both anchor alarms off, visual check of the engine). At 7.45 AM I started the engine and 15 minutes later was motoring out of Lobos. I took advantage of the apparent wind from dead ahead to raise the mainsail for the first time in 6 months or more. It was hard work but went better than I had expected given that I had not taken time to lubricate the track and slides. I passed between the San Lorenzo Channel markers at 9.30 AM and soon I was on a SE course down the Cerralvo Channel with the wind on off the port quarter and a partial jib to assist the mainsail, and making a surprising speed of 6-7 knots. At the San Lorenzo Channel I passed near a Baja ferry on the way to La Paz. I was glad to hear the "Dangerous Object" AIS alarm as the ship approached.

The wind began to sag in the middle of the day and at 1.30 PM I was forced to drop the mainsail and run downwind with the full genoa. Instantly I picked up a half knot and the boat began to sail itself quietly without the boom flogging. I set up the Monitor wind steering and by 3 PM the wind had picked up and Pachuca was happily doing 6 kt under Monitor steering. When I got close to Muertos the wind became unstable so I rolled in the headsail and motored for the last hour of the journey. I dropped anchor at 6.30 PM in 5.5 meters of water. The wind was coming from the north at 11 knots. The engine had 85.9 hours, which meant that I had motored 4.4 hours out of the 10.5 hour journey.

Brenda and Stephen reached me by mobile telephone and we spoke after I had dropped anchor. Stephen had a quick look on the Web and confirmed that there is no tropical storm activity seen south of here for the next 48 hours.

I plan to get an early start in the morning an make for Bahia Los Frailes,46 miles to the south.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

2 comments:

Chris said...

Glad all is going well. Fun to catch up with B and S.

Mark Jochems said...

Robert: Your pangolin position tracker is showing your position as near Fort Bragg. Good luck and God speed. -Shoreline Marine Diesel

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me