This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

More Off The Task List

Broken End Bit
The plastic retainer at the end of my starboard car track fell apart a couple of months ago.  This is what prevents the accidental movement of the car right off the end of the track.  Last week I asked John if he had one in his box of rigging bits.  He didn't have one but suggested that I simply make one.  Great idea.  This morning I made a retainer from  some of the aluminum strips left over from the lazarette cover job.  I did the drilling before cutting off the material, using a larger bit to drill for the countersink.  I then cut off the length and rounded off all the edges with sand paper.  The result was pretty good.
Aluminum Retainer in Position

While I was at it I cut and drilled pieces that will allow me to screw down the bottom edge of the lazarette cover if I find that there is enough water building up on the cockpit sole to flow into the lazarette.

Then I attacked the problem of how to carry the gas cylinder that Rick had given to me.  I had gotten it filled yesterday (pick up and drop off at the marina by Lupe, for only 200 pesos) and it was ready to go.  It is the same size cylinder (16.5 lb) as the one I had purchased in Hawaii and has brackets for horizontal mounting. (The third cylinder hold 5.3 lb, giving me a total of 38.3 lb of LPG.)

Although it physically fit in the lazarette there was no convenient way to tie it down other than to lash it to the existing two cylinders, putting an extra load on the wood frame that holds those cylinders in place.  There was also the risk that were that cylinder to begin sliding it would rip the thin copper ribbons connecting the Dynaplate RF ground shoe to the antenna tuner, which runs along the floor of the lazarette.  Nope, I would have to carry the cylinder either on the stern rail or, as a last resort, in the starboard quarter berth.  Although carrying a gas cylinder inside of the boat would probably be safe, given that it is of robust steel construction and would not be connected to anything, I just didn't like the idea of carrying gas inside of the cabin and would do it only as a last resort.

For me the key to solving these problems is not to rush, but rather sit there, thinking of nothing in particular, then trying something else, then sitting some more letting my mind drift, then ....  Finally I came up with what I think an acceptable solution shown in the accompanying photographs.  I found that the stainless steel clamps alone held the cylinder firm as a rock, but for good measure I lashed rope around the middle of the cylinder.  If needs by I'll lash the lower brackets of the cylinder with wire and drill holes in the wood pad and tie it down too.  If I happen to slide along that section of the seat all I'll feel is the slight hump of the cylinder of my back.  There is no interference with the functioning of the nearby Monitor steering lines.

Finally, a "full disclosure" confession to the blog.  I enjoyed those beers at the Rancho Viejo on Saturday so much that I've begun drinking beer again.  It's back to that thought that I'll be spending up to 3 months out at sea and I may as well enjoy myself.  And I must admit that there is nothing like an ice cold beer on a hot La Paz afternoon. 

1 comment:

Chris said...

For me the key to solving these problems is not to rush, but rather sit there, thinking of nothing in particular, then trying something else, then sitting some more letting my mind drift, then ....without this idea too many mistakes turn up...like I do!!!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me