This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Visit to Berkovich Boat Yard - 3, Whisker Pole

Whisker pole contracted to 10 ft length
One of my objectives had been to find a whisker pole.  We walked down the ladder from Doug's boat and he pointed one out on the dirt underneath the next boat.  Doug find the Berkovich whom I should see about the pole and I was asked what a new one cost.  I replied that I wasn't sure, maybe $500 or $600.  (West Marine lists a comparable one at $773.)  David jumped in on my behalf and said that he had paid less than $200 for a new one (must have been a long time ago) and that $100 would be a fair price.  It took a while, but I was finally asked the strange amount of $102 for the pole, and 1300 pesos became the agreed sum.  I can't complain.  Given that I sold my long, heavy, and clunky spinnaker pole for $80 I've now got a more useful whisker pole at a net cost of $22.

At full length of 17.5 ft
The pole lengths range from  2.3 meters (10 ft) to 5.3 meters (17.4 ft).  This is about 1 meter, or 3 ft short of the ideal for my headsail, but it should still be very useful for downwind work.  At worst I'll have to roll in the headsail a bit.

1 comment:

Chris said...

What a great price you got!!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me